Wednesday, October 26, 2016

The Battleground of Blowouts


Prompt: Blowout

// Two things come to mind when I think “blowout.” One involves lots of gross, maybe some tears, tons of laundry, and the occasional onesie sacrificed to the trashcan because I just.can’t.even. The other brings images of the perfectly glossy locks of a certain princess who is well known for her stellar blowouts. 

As a mother of 4 one has been a decidedly more pronounced part of my life. I’ll just let you hazard a guess on that one. 

Two very simple things really, but they are a good expression of the sacrifice mothers are given the opportunity to make every day. It’s here, in the tension between two different blowouts, that a battle is being fought for our hearts. For our worship. //

I choose this day, and every day, who I will serve. Will I serve my Creator  by serving the “least of these” in the form of my own precious children who need me to clean their poop? Or myself? 

Obviously, I’m not going to leave my baby sitting in her own refuse, but the attitude I have as I deal with the yuck is my battleground. 

Will I begrudge them the care they need from me and the sacrifices I have to make to give it to them? Or will I joyfully give up the glossy blowout for the stinky one?


I am continuing on with my Write 31 Days theme of "31 Days to Slowing Down and Living More Simply" with reflections based on my reading of Emily P. Freeman's book Simply Tuesday and the prompts given at the FMFW page. My "Five Minute Free Write" portion will be enclosed with // and any extra thoughts will follow.







No comments:

Post a Comment