Tuesday, October 4, 2016

Brewing Life (A '31 Days' Post)



 // I inhale deeply as I encounter my first whiff of freshly ground coffee in the middle of a hectic day. The scent of calm. With just one smell my soul begins to quiet and slow down its frantic rush to produce. It’s time to stop for a moment and breath. To relax my cramped brain and ponder something of interest, something of beauty. To become aware again of the world beyond my to-do list and narrow perspective. To remember my smallness and the bigness of the One who holds me in the palm of His hand. I recall the meme that “proved” the existence of magic by naming coffee the magic bean that brings us back to life every morning, and I chuckle because the humor of it lies in its resemblance to real life. (Isn’t that resemblance the nature and power of humor?) A simple pleasure, but when I brew a cup of coffee I often brew a deeper awareness of LIFE. //


I'm joining the 31 Days of Five Minute Free Writes project this year for some inspiration and a kick in the pants to just write something, anything each day. It is a challenge for my "recovering perfectionist" self to plop down words as they come to mind for 5 minutes (only!) and let them loose on the internet with little to no editing. But I hope the process will free and exercise my brain to express with greater ease and clarity the many vague thoughts that long for more definition and development, however imperfect they are. 

For more '31 Days' Posts click here or on the tab at the top of the page.


No comments:

Post a Comment