Sunday, October 30, 2016

A Little Bouquet, A Costly Gift


Prompt: Bouquet 

// A bouquet of flowers is always nice, but it had a special significance when my husband brought one to me after we had been married for a short time. It is so hard for him to spend money on something that lasts such a short time, especially when you can buy a nice plant for the same price, or cheaper, and have it last for months and years. His personal preference is always the growing plants.

But I have never been accused of having a green thumb and after a disastrous gift of a gorgeous flowering Cyclamen when we were dating, he learned that plants aren’t so much my thing. Especially if I have to take care of them. 

Now, 10 + years into our marriage, living in a city with a sad lack of greenery compared to my growing up years, I enjoy having plants at home. Especially since I have a live-in green thumb that does all the work to care for them!

But the occasional bouquet of flowers still is very touching to me, knowing that it comes with a price tag of self-denial. I know it comes with a sincerely non-self-seeking love and that makes it far more valuable than the dollar value shows it to be. A little act backed by great love is quite a big act after all.//


I am continuing on with my Write 31 Days theme of "31 Days to Slowing Down and Living More Simply" with reflections based on my reading of Emily P. Freeman's book Simply Tuesday and the prompts given at the FMFW page. My "Five Minute Free Write" portion will be enclosed with // and any extra thoughts will follow.





No comments:

Post a Comment